March 30, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team posted its seventh consecutive season with 10 or more wins after it defeated Caltech, 6-3, on Monday. The victory lifted the Engineers' ledger to 10-4 on the year.
No. 3 doubles team Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich got the ball rolling with an 8-1 decision. Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni collected the next point by outlasting Ellen Hsu and Anna Hiszpanski, 9-8 (3). The Beavers captured the final doubles point when Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover lost, 8-4.
MacKay quickly worked through her No. 6 singles match, 6-1, 6-1. Both Konowich and Yi Wang posted scores of 6-0, 6-1, which helped MIT clinch the match. Hoover recorded the Engineers' last win with another 6-0, 6-1 decision in the No. 3 spot. Ni and Lin lost, 6-1, 6-1 and, 6-1, 6-0, respectively.
In the only exhibition match of the day, Karina Pikhart and Wang swept their opponent for an 8-0 victory.
MIT vs. Caltech
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Caltech 3
1. Chen Yee Liaw/Jenny Hsiao (C) def. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M), 8-4
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Ellen Hsu/Anna Hiszpanski (C), 9-8(3)
3. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M) def. D. Lin/S. Wadsworth (C) 8-1
4. Karina Pikhart/Yi Wang (M) def. Unknown opponents (C), 8-0
1. Chen Yee Liaw (C) def. Serena Lin (M), 6-1, 6-0
2. Jenny Hsiao (C) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-1, 6-1
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Olga Mawdelshtam (C), 6-0, 6-1
4. Yi Wang (M) def. D. Lin (C), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Ellen Hsu (C), 6-0, 6-1
6. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Anna Hiszpanski (C), 6-1, 6-1