MIT Splits in Weekend Trip to New York
April 25, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team wrapped up its 2005-06 campaign this past weekend with a pair of matches in upstate New York. On Saturday, the Engineers overpowered Skidmore College, 8-1. The next day, Tech lost to Vassar College, 7-2. Tech's final record in dual competition stands at 13-5.
At Skidmore, Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover led off the day with an 8-2 victory in the top doubles position. Elaine Ni and Joanna MacKay posted an 8-4 decision as Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich lost, 8-1.
Lin lost only one game to Pauli in her straight-set victory in the No. 1 singles spot. Hoover defeated Grabler, 6-1, 6-4, and Wang earned the win in the No. 4 spot after her opponent retired in the second set. In Ni's No. 2 match, she lost the first set, 7-6 (3), and then bounced back to take the second, 7-6 (5). She clinched the victory with a 10-5 margin in the super tiebreaker. Konowich captured a 6-2, 6-1 win while Emily Chen closed the match with a 6-2, 6-2 decision.
Against the Brewers on Sunday, Lin and Hoover recorded MIT's lone doubles win by a margin of 8-6. Wang won Tech's only singles match, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Shank and Wang posted their second exhibition victory of the weekend by defeating their opponents, 8-4.
MIT vs. Skidmore College
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Skidmore 1
1. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Pauli/Grabler (S), 8-2
2. Elaine Ni/Joanna MacKay (M) def. Damon/Rosenthal (S), 8-4
3. Abrams/Parrott (S) def. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M), 8-1
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Bevan/Travis (S), 8-1
1. Serena Lin (M) def. Pauli (S), 6-0, 6-1
2. Elaine Ni (M) def. Rosenthal (S), 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 10-5
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Grabler (S), 6-1, 6-4
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Abrams (S), 6-3, 2-0 (inj. Ret.)
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Damon (S), 6-2, 6-1
6. Emily Chen (M) def. Travis (S), 6-2, 6-2
7. Unknown opponent (S) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 8-5
MIT vs. Vassar College
Final Team Score: Vassar 7, MIT 2
1. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Debbie Sharnak/Katy Robinette (V), 8-6
2. Krista Romita/Elysa Kliman (V) def. Elaine Ni/Joanna MacKay (M), 8-4
3. Anna Will/Courtney Burks (V) def. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M), 8-3
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Kelly Barnett/Jamie Steele (V), 8-4
1. Debbie Sharnak (V) def. Serena Lin (M) 6-0, 7-6 (4)
2. Katy Robinette (V) def. Elaine Ni (M) 6-3, 6-2
3. Krista Romita (V) def. Mariah Hoover (M) 6-3, 5-7, 7-5
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Anna Will (V) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kelly Barnett (V) def. Jill Konowich (M) 6-3, 6-7 (3), 6-4
6. Alexis Jacobson (V) def. Emily Chen (M) 6-3, 6-4
7. Elysa Kliman (V) def. Lisa Shank (M) 8-2
8. Courtney Burks (V) def. Karina Pikhart (M) 8-1