MIT Defeats Suffolk, 8-1
Sept. 6, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The MIT women’s tennis team kicked off its 2008 campaign by defeating Suffolk University, 8-1, in the inaugural meeting between both programs. The Engineers’ ledger improved to 1-0 overall and while the Rams fell to 0-1 on the year. Next up for MIT will be a home match against New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) foe Springfield College on Saturday, Sept. 13. Suffolk will begin Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play on Thursday, Sept. 11 at Simmons College.
MIT’s No. 2 doubles pair of Karina Pikhart and Jen Rees opened the day with an 8-2 victory over Alex Hernandez and Rachel Troia. Melissa Diskin and Anastasia Vishnevetsky posted an 8-3 win in the top spot while Kerry Weinberg and Hillary Jenny completed the sweep with an 8-5 decision.
Anisa McCree made quick work of her No. 4 singles foe by registering a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Leslie Hansen overpowered Kaitlynn Cates, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 1 spot while Katie Smyth defeated her opponent, 6-2, 6-0, in the No. 6 slot. Yi Wang edged out Hernandez, 7-6 (4), 6-4 in the No. 2 position while Alex Hall fell to Lauren Cameron, 7-6 (1), 6-2 in the next spot. After dropping the opening set of her match by a score of 6-1, Jenny Dohlman battled back and emerged with wins of 7-5 and 12-10.
In exhibition play, Kimee Boonbanjersri defeated her opponent, 8-4.
Suffolk University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Suffolk 1
1. Melissa Diskin/Anastasia Vishnevetsky (M) def. Lauren Cameron/Kaitlynn Cates (S), 8-3
2. Karina Pikhart/Jen Rees (M) def. Alex Hernandez/Rachel Troia (S), 8-2
3. Kerry Weinberg/Hillary Jenny (M) def. Katelynn Paquette/Rebecca Copeland (S), 8-5
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Kaitlynn Cates (S), 6-1, 6-1
2. Yi Wang (M) def. Alex Hernandez (S), 7-6 (4), 6-4
3. Lauren Cameron (S) def. Alex Hall (M), 7-6 (1), 6-2
4. Anisa McCree (M) def. Carla Malqui (S), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jenny Dohlman (M) def. Rachel Troia (S), 1-6, 7-5, 12-10
6. Katie Smyth (M) def. Thuy Le (S), 6-2, 6-0
7. Kimee Boonbanjerdsri (M) def. Katelynn Pacquette (S), 8-4