Women's Tennis Defeats Wheaton, 7-2
Oct. 4, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A quartet of double-winners helped power MIT to a 7-2 victory over Wheaton College in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women's tennis match on Tuesday. The Engineers improved to 5-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play while the Lyons fell to 7-2 on the year and 3-2 in the NEWMAC.
Joanna MacKay and Leslie Hansen led off the afternoon with an 8-2 decision over Jamie Weiss and Katie Knies in the No. 1 doubles position. Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang recorded Tech's next point with an 8-4 win while Emily Chen and Anisa McCree lost their match by the same margin.
In singles play, Hansen blanked Briana Jackson in the opening set and then lost only one game in the straight-set victory. Hoover picked up a win in the No. 2 spot with a pair of 6-2 scores while Wang overpowered her opponent, 6-1, 6-1. McCree fell to Knies, 6-3, 7-5, in a hard-fought No. 4 battle. MacKay registered a 6-2, 6-1, victory while Chen wrapped up the match with a 6-2, 6-3 decision.
MIT vs. Wheaton College
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Wheaton 2
1. Joanna MacKay/Leslie Hansen (M) def. Jamie Weiss/Katie Knies (W), 8-2
2. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (M) def. Darby McDermott/Briana Jackson (W), 8-4
3. Maya Milic-Strkalj/Mallory Farmer (W) def. Emily Chen/Anisa McCree (M), 8-4
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Briana Jackson (W), 6-0, 6-1
2. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Jamie Weiss (W), 6-2, 6-2
3. Yi Wang (M) def. Darby McDermott (W), 6-1, 6-1
4. Katie Knies (W) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-3, 7-5
5. Joanna MacKay (M) def. Maya Milic-Strkalj (W), 6-2, 6-1
6. Emily Chen (M) def. Mallory Farmer (W), 6-2, 6-3
7. Kerry Weinberg (M) def. Alex Macee (W), 8-6
8. Katie Smyth (M) def. Alex Macee (W), 8-2