Engineers Defeat Wheaton, 6-3, in NEWMAC Finale
Oct. 15, 2008
NORTON, Mass. - The Wheaton College women's tennis team was fended off by perennial New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) power MIT, 6-3 in each team's league finale on Tuesday. The Lyons fell to 10-2 overall and 5-2 in the league while the Engineers improved to 7-2 on the year and 6-1 in the NEWMAC.
MIT took a 2-1 edge into singles, but only after surviving fights at the top and third slots. Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky outlasted Sarah Geocaris and Catherine Teague, 9-7, in the No. 1 position. For the Engineers’ second point, Melissa Diskin and Alex Hall held on for an 8-6 triumph against Ellen Van Faasen and Rosalyn Chesky. Katherine Knies and Allesandra DiOrio prevented the sweep courtesy of 8-6 decision over Anisa McCree and Karina Pikhart.
During singles play, DiOrio and Knies each rallied to victories for Wheaton, as DiOrio knocked off Diskin, 6-7, 6-2, 10-6 in the third slot, while Knies defeated Hall, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5. However, the Lyons lost their remaining four singles matches.
In the top slot, Hansen registered a 5-7, 6-1, 6-3 victory over Geocaris. Vishnevetsky fended off Teague, 7-6, 6-4, in the No. 2 position while McCree and Pikhart posted identical 6-3, 6-2 decisions in the No. 4 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
MIT vs. Wheaton College
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Wheaton 3
1. Leslie Hansen/Anastasia Vishnevetsky (M) def. Catherine Teague/Sarah Geocaris (W), 9-7
2. Allesandra DiOrio/Katherine Knies (W) def. Anisa McCree/Karina Pikhart (M), 8-6
3. Melissa Diskin/Alex Hall (M) def. Rosalyn Chesky/Ellen Van Faasen (W), 8-6
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Sarah Geocaris (W), 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
2. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (M) def. Catherine Teague (W), 7-6, 6-4
3. Allesandra DiOrio (W) def. Melissa Diskin (M), 6-7, 6-2, 10-6
4. Anisa McCree (M) def. Ellen Van Faasen (W), 6-3, 6-2
5. Katherine Knies (W) def. Alex Hall (M), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Karina Pikhart (M) def. Mallory Farmer (W), 6-3, 6-2