Wellesley Overpowers MIT, 8-1
Oct. 16, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In a battle of conference unbeatens, Wellesley College emerged with an 8-1 victory over MIT to claim first place in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women's tennis standings on Saturday. As a result, the Engineers (7-2, 6-1 NEWMAC) will be the No. 2 seed in next week's NEWMAC Championship Tournament.
Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang posted MIT's lone victory with an 8-6 decision in the No. 2 doubles position. Joanna MacKay and Leslie Hansen were the first duo to wrap up play with an 8-3 loss while the No. 3 tandem of Anisa McCree and Kerry Weinberg finished right after them with an 8-6 decision.
McCree fell to Alex Lucas, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 4 singles spot while MacKay was defeated by Meghan Stubblebine in the No. 5 position, 6-1, 6-2. Hoover finished next with a 6-2, 6-4 loss, which was repeated by Wang and Hansen. Emily Chen was the only MIT player that did not go down in straight sets as she was defeated by Mahona Siddigle, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-3.
In exhibition play, Katie Smyth and Jackie Rogoff fell to Katherine McDonald and Emily McDonald. Weinberg lost her singles match, 6-1, 6-1, as Smyth fell, 7-5, 6-1. Rogoff recorded the group's only win by defeating Alex Onding, 6-3, 7-6 (4).
Wellesley College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: Wellesley 8, MIT 1
1. Jenna Mezin/Hali Walther (W) def. Joanna MacKay/Leslie Hansen (M), 8-3
2. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (M) def. Jen Schwartzkopf/Meghan Stubblebine (W), 8-6
3. Malika Hayashi/Mahona Siddigle (W) def. Anisa McCree/Kerry Weinberg (M), 8-6
4. Katherine McDonald/Emily McDonald (W) def. Katie Smyth/Jackie Rogoff (M), Unknown score
1. Jenna Mezin (W) def. Leslie Hansen (M), 6-2, 6-4
2. Jen Schwartzkopf (W) def. Mariah Hoover (M), 6-2, 6-4
3. Hali Walther (W) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Lucas (W) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-1, 6-1
5. Meghan Stubblebine (W) def. Joanna MacKay (M), 6-1, 6-2
6. Mahona Siddigle (W) def. Emily Chen (M), 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-3
7. Denny Kendall (W) def. Kerry Weinberg (M), 6-1, 6-1
8. Jane Booth-Tobin (W) def. Katie Smyth (M), 7-5, 6-1
9. Jackie Rogoff (M) def. Alex Onding (W), 6-3, 7-6 (4)