Oct. 30, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - No. 2 seeded MIT knocked off No. 3 Mount Holyoke College, 5-2, in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) semifinal match on Saturday evening. The Engineers will face two-time defending champion and top-seeded Wellesley College in the tournament final Sunday morning.
The Lyons picked up a pair of doubles wins to build an early lead. Anisa McCree and Kerry Weinberg fell in the No. 3 spot while Leslie Hansen and Joanna MacKay dropped a tough 8-6 decision in the top position. Mariah Hoover and Yi Wang overpowered Helena Jedziniak and Beatrix Hartmann for an 8-1 victory.
In singles play, Emily Chen knotted the contest at 2-2 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Anjali Bhalodia in the No. 5 slot. McCree allowed only two points in her 6-2, 6-0 decision in the No. 4 position. Hansen gave MIT a 4-2 lead following a hard-fought 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 victory in the top spot. MacKay clinched the match with a 6-1, 7-6 win in the sixth slot.
MIT vs. Mount Holyoke College
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Mount Holyoke 2
1. Angela Horner/Ashley Fallon (MHC) def. Leslie Hansen/Joanna MacKay (MIT), 8-6
2. Mariah Hoover/Yi Wang (MIT) def. Helena Jedziniak/Beatrix Hartmann (MHC), 9-1
3. Aleksandra Mihailovic/Meaghan Sloane (MHC) def. Anisa McCree/Kerry Weinberg (MIT), 8-3
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Angela Horner (MHC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Mariah Hoover (MIT) vs. Ashley Fallon (MHC), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (Halted)
3. Helena Jedziniak (MHC) vs. Yi Wang (MIT), 7-6, 4-4 (Halted)
4. Anisa McCree (MIT) def. Bo Kim (MHC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Emily Chen (MIT) def. Anjali Bhalodia (MHC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Joanna MacKay (MIT) def. Sarah London (MHC), 6-1, 7-6