- Location: Gantcher Center - Medford, Mass.
- The Lead: At the Tufts Last Chance Meet, the No. 2 ranked MIT women's indoor track and field team posted 15 top-10 finishes, including five finishers among the top-10 in the pole vault. The meet was the final competition prior to next week's NCAA Indoor Championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Kari Stromhaug (Vestal, N.Y.) improved by 8.75 inches on her season-best as she won the pole vault with a height of 12 feet, 5.25 inches. Freshman Kaitlyn Sparks (Cape Town, South Africa) finished fourth in the event with a clearance of 12 feet, 2.5 inches as she improved by an inch on her season best. Overall, Stromhaug is now ninth in the country, while Sparks is 16th overall nationally. Senior Jennifer Tylock (Shrewsbury, Mass.) posted a PR of 11 feet, 8.5 inches to finish fifth, followed by sophomore Kathleen Brandes (Raleigh, N.C.) in eighth at 11 feet, 2.5 inches and sophomore Makenzie Patarino (Lakewood, Colo.) in 10th with a height of 10 feet, 8.75 inches.
- Senior Natalie Alper (Columbia, Md.) was second in the high jump at five feet, three inches, while junior Haley Strouf (Rice Lake, Wisc.) finished third in the long jump at 18 feet, 1.75 inches. Junior Ariela Slutsky (Weston, Fla.) captured the weight throw with a personal-best of 56 feet, 3.75 inches as well, which ranks her 19th in the country. Senior Jackie Vahey (Winchester, Mass.) was close behind in third place as she threw 52 feet, eight inches.
- On the track, junior Nneoma Okonkwo (Lagos, Nigeria) was second in the 60 meters as she ran 7.82 to finish just .01 seconds out of first. In the 5,000, junior Mary Eccles (Wahaiwa, Hawaii) finished in fifth overall and she crossed in a time of 18:10.97.
- MIT also had two top-10 finishers in both the 400 meters and the mile, led by a third-place showing in the 400 by junior Hannah Chen (Los Gatos, Calif.). Chen crossed in 58.81, while freshman Gabriella Zak (Upper Saddle River, N.J.) was fourth in the event at 59.25 seconds. In the mile, freshman Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) placed fifth in 5:01.52, along with a seventh-place showing by junior Clementine Mitchell (Glasgow, Scotland) in a time of 5:06.44.
- MIT returns to action on March 10-11 as the Engineers travel to the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field National Championship meet at North Central College in Naperville, Ill.