- Location: Boston University - Boston, Mass.
- The Lead: At the Boston University Season Opener indoor meet, the MIT men's and women's indoor track teams sent five student-athletes to compete in the first event of the indoor season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the women, sophomore Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) was the top performer as she ran the No. 2 time in the country in the 3,000 meters, finishing in 9:51.25. Running much of the race alone in front, she captured her section of the event and was eighth overall as her time is No. 4 on the MIT all-time list for the 3K. Sophomore Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) finished 10th overall and third in her section in a time of 10:09.18, which is the currently the fifth-fastest time in the country in the 3K.
- Senior Mary Eccles (Wahiawa, Hawaii) finished 26th overall and was the third Division III finisher in the 5,000 meters as she ran 17:13.95 to rank seventh in the country.
- For the men, junior Josh Rosenkranz (Glencoe, Ill.) and senior David Walter (Middleville, Mich.) both competed in the 5,000 meters and ran times that rank them among the top 10 nationally. Rosenkranz was 22nd overall and the second Division III finisher in a time of 14:44.45, which is currently No. 3 in the country. Walter was 30th overall and first in his section in a time of 15:02.46, which is 10th nationally.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, January 13th as the Engineers travel to Lewiston, Maine to take on Bates and Colby in a tri-meet at Bates. The team is also holding its Alumni Meet, which will take place on Saturday, December 16th.