- Score: MIT 3, Framingham State University 0 (25-13, 25-17, 25-19)
- Records: MIT (29-4); Framingham State (22-12)
- Location: Medford, Mass. (Cousens Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team kicked off the program's 18th NCAA Tournament appearance by defeating Framingham State University, 25-13, 25-17, 25-19, on Friday afternoon at Tufts University. Seniors Megan Gebhard (Howell, Mich.) and Tori Wuthrich (Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich.) led all players with 11 kills and 17 digs, respectively.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) registered nine kills and a .421 hitting effort in two sets as classmate Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) added seven kills. Junior Lisette Tellez (Miami, Fla.) posted seven kills and nine digs while classmate Clare Farley (La Jolla, Calif.) collected 14 digs. Sophomore Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) finished with 36 assists and two aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT jumped out to a 6-2 lead to start the match and never looked back as it cruised to a 25-13 victory.
- The Engineers inched out to a 10-5 advantage in the second stanza but Framingham State used a 5-0 spurt to even the score. Alycia Rackliffe rattled off three straight kills, which was followed by back-to-back strikes from Alexandra Fish. MIT responded with an 8-1 run to regain control of the set; however, the Rams managed to close the gap to 21-17. The Engineers countered by recording the final four points to secure the frame.
- MIT raced out to an 8-2 lead which grew to 18-8 following a kill and block by Gebhard. Despite the deficit Framingham State continued to attack as it put together an 11-5 run. The Engineers thwarted the comeback attempt courtesy of kills by Staub and freshman Veronica Ripper (Brighton, Mich.).
- MIT will square off with NEWMAC foe Springfield College in a second-round match-up slated for a 1:30 p.m. start on Saturday, Nov. 12.