- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Rifle Range)
- The Lead: On Saturday, the MIT rifle team fell to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy by a 4,569-4,305 final at the DuPont Rifle Range.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Overall, Coast Guard's Hunter Blankenship led all scorers with a total of 1,149 points. MIT senior Jesus Herrera (Los Angeles, Calif.) was the top Engineer finisher as he was sixth with a total of 1,092 points.
- For MIT, Herrera was the top smallbore shooter with a score of 546 points. Junior Landon Chu (Burke, Va.) was right behind with 544 points, followed by senior Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.) at 523 points. Seniors Ivy Li (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) and Elijah Miller (Shavertown, Pa.) were the final two MIT shooters in smallbore with scores of 518 and 516 points, respectively.
- Chu was the leader in air rifle with a total of 550 points, while Herrera and Rick each posted a score of 546. Miller finished with a score of 538 points, followed by first-year Noelle Kramer (Melbourne, Fla.) at 532 in his first collegiate competition.
- Sophomore Steven Acevedo (Waco, Texas), first-year Gabi Ogata (Washington, D.C.) and first-year Jenny Zhang (Austin, Texas) also competed for MIT in air rifle, registering scores of 457, 478 and 528, respectively.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, October 19th as the Engineers again host the U.S. Coast Guard Academy for a 9 a.m. start.