- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (DuPont Rifle Range)
- The Lead: On Saturday morning, the MIT rifle team dropped a 4,540-4,328 final to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy at the DuPont Rifle Range.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Jesus Herrera (Los Angeles, Calif.) led MIT with an overall score of 1,098 points that tied Rose Reynolds of Coast Guard for fifth overall. Herrera posted a team-high score of 549 in smallbore, along with a 549 in air rifle. Junior Landon Chu (Burke, Va.) was fifth overall with 1,094 points, including a team-leading 558 in air rifle.
- Senior Thomas Rick (New Orleans, La.) posted a total of 1,073 points, notching scores of 529 in smallbore and 544 in air rifle. First-years Jenny Zhang (Austin, Texas) and Noelle Kramer (Melbourne, Fla.) were ninth and 10th overall, respectively, with scores of 1,067 and 1,054 points to round out the scorers for MIT. Zhang posted a 545 score in air rifle, while Kramer had a score of 541 in air rifle.
- Also competing was sophomore Steven Acevido (Waco, Texas) with a total of 974 points, along with senior Elijah Miller (Shavertown, Pa.) at 1,043 points and first-year Isabella Pedraza Pineros (Miami, Fla.) with 944 points.
- Bryce Sturtz of Coast Guard led the Bears with a score of 1,146 points, including a match-high score of 565 in smallbore. Seth Strayer, who holds the range record in air rifle, led all shooters with a score of 583.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, October 26th as the Engineers host John Jay College and Wentworth for a 9 a.m. start.