Hatch Brown Trophy - 3rd, 4th of 19
Regis Bowl - 10th of 15
Tufts Invitational - 4th, 11th of 18
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team had a strong showing at the Hatch Brown Trophy this weekend as the Engineers finished in third and fourth place out of 19 teams. The Engineers were edged by Yale and Tufts for the title.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Hatch Brown Trophy, Engineers 1 finished in third place overall with 320 points. The A Division saw Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) come in second with 89 points just three shy of Coast Guard's boat. The B Division saw Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) take eighth place with 132 points, while the C Division saw John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) take fifth place with 99 points. In the overall team standings, Engineers 2 finished just behind Engineers 1 with 346 points. The A Division saw Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) take ninth with 143 points, the B Division saw Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) take fifth with 115 points and the C Division saw Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) take second with 88 points.
- At the Regis Bowl, the Engineers finished tenth as a team with 243 points. In the A Division, Meredith Julian (Cohasset, Mass.), Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) earned 108 points for sixth place, while the B Division boat sailed by Abigail VanLonkhuyzen (Yarmouth, Maine), Emily Scherer (Oshkosh, Wis.), Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) took 11th place with 135 points. Over the course of 30 races between the two divisions, the eight sailors combined for ten top-10 placements.
- Finally, at the one-day Tufts Invitational, Engineers 1 sailed to a fourth place finish with 57 points, while Engineers 2 sailed to an 11th place finish with 102 points. In the A Division, Engineers 1 was sailed by Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) as they were two points shy of claiming the title, while Engineers 2 was sailed by David Morejon (Kingwood, Texas) and Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan) as they finished 12th overall. In the B Division, Charles Lindsay (West Palm Beach, Fla.) and Grace Mao (Overland Park, Kan.) accumulated 37 points for eighth place in Engineers 1, while Raymond Huffman (Manhasset, N.Y.) and Zoe Fisher (River Forest, Ill.) accumulated 46 points for tenth place in Engineers 2.
- MIT will host the Midweek Firefly on Wednesday, September 18 before heading to three regattas this weekend. The Engineers will compete at the Hoyt Trophy at Brown University, the Hood Trophy at Tufts University and the Mrs. Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth College.
For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.