Harvard Invitational - 2nd, 9th of 16
Mrs. Hurst Bowl - 3rd of 14
Hood Trophy - 6th of 10
Hoyt Trophy - 10th of 17
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team captured third place at the highly competitive Mrs. Hurst Bowl, which was hosted by Dartmouth College over the weekend. MIT also took second and ninth at the Harvard Invite, sixth at the Hood Trophy and tenth at the Hoyt Trophy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Mrs. Hurst Bowl, MIT took third place with 71 points just behind host Dartmouth College and Yale University. In the B Division, Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) totaled 23 points as they finished third in four of six races. In the A Division, Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) totaled 48 points as they posted two third place finishes in race number four and six.
- At the Harvard Invite, Engineers 1 sailed by Julia Wyatt (Sudbury, Mass.) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) in the A Division and Abigail VanLonkhuyzen (Yarmouth, Maine) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) in the B Division finished in second place just behind Boston University. Wyatt and Lallas won race number six and crossed the line second in races three and five, while VanLonkhuyzen and McKellar won race number six and placed second in race three.
- At the Hood Trophy, the Engineers placed sixth as a team with 213 points. The A Division boat sailed by John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) finished third in races four and six, while the B Division boat sailed by Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas), Charles Lindsay (West Palm Beach, Fla.), Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) and Suparnamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.) finished second in race nine and fifth in race two.
- Finally, at the Hoyt Trophy, MIT placed tenth as a team with 290 points. The A Division boat sailed by Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) totaled 152 points for 11th as they won race number one and registered five top-five placements over the two-day regatta. The B Division boat sailed by Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.) and Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan) totaled 138 points for ninth place as they won race number seven and registered six top-five placements over two days on the water.
- Next weekend, MIT will travel to Brown for the Women's Showcase, to Coast Guard for the Danmark Trophy, to the University of Rhode Island for the Moody Trophy and to Tufts for the Lark Invitational.