Women's Showcase - 2nd of 15
Danmark Trophy - 10th of 20
Moody Trophy - 16th of 18
- The Lead: The MIT women's sailing team finished second at the Women's Showcase Qualifier over the weekend and has earned a spot in the finals of the event which will take place in two weeks at the U.S. Naval Academy.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- As a team, MIT finished second overall at the Women's Showcase Qualifier with 175 points which was only behind Brown University which won the event with 73 points. In the B Division, Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) and Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa) earned 75 of MIT's 175 points for third. In 15 races, the won race number ten and placed fourth or better nine times. In the A Division, Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii), Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) and Silkin registered 100 points for fourth place. Over the 15 races that were sailed, the A Division group earned eight top-5 placements.
- As a team, MIT finished 10th overall at the Danmark Trophy with 361 points. The A Division vessel which was sailed by Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) grabbed seventh place, while the B Division boat sailed by Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.) finished 13th. Each division sailed 18 races and the Engineers placed tenth or better 16 times.
- At the Moody Trophy, MIT finished 16th overall as a team with 308 points. The A Division boat sailed by Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) earned 141 points for 11th place, while the B Division boat sailed by Meredith Julian (Cohasset, Mass.), Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.), Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) earned 167 points for 16th place. Over the combined 26 races between both divisions, MIT finished inside the top-ten eight times.
- MIT is scheduled to host the Midweek Firefly on Wednesday, October 2 at 5:00 pm.