Women's Showcase Finals - 7th of 18
Captain Hurst Bowl - 9th of 17
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team finished in seventh place at the Women's Showcase Finals held at the Naval Academy and finished in ninth place at the Captain Hurst Bowl which was held at Dartmouth College this weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Women's Showcase Finals, the Engineers faced an 8-12 Southeasterly breeze on Saturday and a five-knot easterly on Sunday as MIT claimed seventh place with 173 points. Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.) finished in third place in the A Division right behind Stanford University and Boston University, while the B Division boat sailed by Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) claimed 11th place with 107 points. In total there were ten races sailed per division, and MIT totaled eight top-5 placements over the weekend leading to their seventh-place team finish.
- At the three division Captain Hurst Bowl, MIT totaled 124 points for ninth place overall. The A Division boat sailed by Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Suparnamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.) totaled 39 points for 12th place, the B Division boat sailed by John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.) totaled 41 points for eighth place and the C Division boat sailed by Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) totaled 44 points for sixth place. There were five races sailed per division as the top placement for the Engineers came in the form of a third-place finish in race two from the B Division duo.
- MIT will host the Midweek Firefly on Wednesday, October 16 before competing in four regattas over the weekend.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.