Norm Reid Team Race - 2nd of 6
Coed Showcase Finals - 10th of 18
Yale Women's Trophy - 10th of 17
Oberg Trophy - 12th, 17th of 18
- The Lead: The MIT sailing teams competed in four regattas over the weekend and had its best finish come at the Norm Reid Team Race, which was hosted by Boston College. The Coed team also competed at their showcase final and took tenth place in the highly competitive event.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT went 8-2 to finish in second place at the Norm Reid Team Race just behind Boston College which went 9-1. In round one, MIT defeated Brown (1-2-6), Boston University (1-2-6), Tufts (1-2-5) and Yale (1-2-5) for a 4-1 mark. Then in round two the Engineers topped the same four schools to finish the regatta with an 8-2 overall record. In round one, the Engineers finished 1-4-6 against Boston College, but the Eagles took 2-3-5 to win the head-to-head matchup. Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.) served as the skippers, while Suparnamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.), Lynn Liu (Orange, Calif.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) were the crews.
- At the Coed Showcase finals, MIT finished in 11th place overall with 184 points. In the B Division, Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas) totaled 70 of MIT's 184 points for third place just behind Boston University and Harvard, while Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.) and Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.) finished in 16th place in the A Division. In nine races, Haig and Abate, earned three top-5 placements.
- At the Yale Women's Trophy, MIT finished tenth overall with 251 points. The A Division vessel sailed by Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) and Brooke McGoldrick (Southport, Conn.) totaled 118 of MIT's 251 points for tenth place, while Meredith Julian (Cohasset, Mass.), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa) totaled 133 points for 12th in the B Division. Both Divisions won one race apiece as the B Division won race number three and the A Division won race number 11.
- At the Oberg Trophy, MIT had two entries as Engineers 2 finished in 12th place with 241 points and Engineers 1 finished in 17th place with 315 points. In the A Division, Julia Wyatt (Sudbury, Mass.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) sailed Engineers 2 to 12th place, while Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.) sailed Engineers 1 to 13th place. In the B Division, Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.) and Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.) sailed Engineers 2 to ninth place, while Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) and Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan) sailed Engineers 1 to a 15th place finish. In the C Division, Emily Scherer (Oshkosh, Wis.) and Cat Arase (Vienna, Va.) sailed Engineers 2 to 10th place, while David Morejon (Kingwood, Texas) and Grace Mao (Overland Park, Kan.) sailed Engineers 1 to 17th place.
- Next weekend marks the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association's (NEISA) Fall Championships. The Coed team will host the Schell Trophy, the Women's team will travel to Harvard for the Victorian Coffee Urn and the first-years will travel to Tufts for the Nickerson Trophy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.