- Score: MIT 4, Gordon College 2
- Records: MIT (7-1-5); Gordon College (4-8-1)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: Both teams combined for six goals over the opening 45 minutes of action tonight, but it was the MIT men's soccer team who came out on top as the Engineers earned a 4-2 win over Gordon College in a non-conference contest on Roberts Field.
- 9th minute (8:18) - Sophomore Garrett Gordon (The Woodlands, Texas) put MIT on the board first as headed the ball into the back of the net off a corner kick from first-year Richter Brzeski (Los Angeles, Calif.).
- 11th minute (10:12) - Nate Boyer answered for the visitors as he took the ball off a long pass that stretched 60 yards from Julius Swaim and finished his shot into the back left corner of the net.
- 14th minute (13:54) - First-year Alex Weiler (Portland, Ore.) put MIT back ahead 2-1 with his third goal of the season as he headed a long cross from the right side of the field by classmate Rami Bikdash (Oak Ridge, N.C.).
-20th minute (19:00) - Gordon College once again knotted the match this time at 2-2 as Ben Mollenhauer rocketed the ball down the left side of the field to the feet of Swaim, who knocked in his fourth goal of the season.
- 27th minute (26:12) - MIT first-year Hendrik Mayer (Montville, N.J.) put the Engineers up for good and registered his second goal of the 2019 season with a free kick from the top of the box.
- 38th minute (37:45) - The Engineers added an insurance goal prior to halftime as Brzeski took the ball, cut through the Gordon defense and fired a shot into the back left corner of the net for the 4-2 advantage.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT put together four goals in one half of a match for the first time since September 30, 2015 when the Engineers defeated Suffolk University, 6-0. The Engineers also matched their highest goal output for the season as MIT also put up four goals against Curry College back on September 25.
- With the win, MIT head coach Ken Bovell moved up to second all-time for most wins in the record books. The only coach ahead of Bovell is Walter Alessi, who coached from 1975-2006 and registered 203 victories.
- MIT keeper Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.) picked up the win (7-1-5) as he made six saves over 90 minutes for the Engineers. Gordon keeper Brody Veleber took the loss (4-3-1) with four stops for the visitors.
- MIT outshot Gordon by an 18-12 margin which included a 12-6 differential over the opening 45 minutes. Both teams were awarded with seven corner kicks tonight.
- With a goal and an assist tonight, Brzeski moved into a tie for first place on the team with four goals and three assists and now holds the outright lead in points with 11.
- The win was the first for MIT over Gordon in the all-time series since 2005. The Fighting Scots hold the edge in the series 12-5-3 in the 20 total contests played.
- MIT returns to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Saturday, October 19 with a home match against Clark University at 1:00 pm. Prior to the match, MIT will honor its five seniors in Cowham, Isaac Perper (Tiburon, Calif.), Ivan Jutamulia (Berkeley, Calif.), Darian Bhathena (Andover, Mass.) and Theo Sechopoulos (Athens, Greece).