- Score: #4 Clark University 2, #5 MIT 1 (2OT)
- Records: MIT (7-5-6); Clark University (12-6-0)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Turf Field)
- The Lead: The fifth-seeded MIT men's soccer team saw its 2019 come to a close tonight as fourth-seeded Clark University edged the Engineers, 2-1, in double overtime in the opening round of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament.
- 22nd minute (21:47) - Clark scored the first goal of the match when Griffin Smith headed in his second goal of the year. The play was set up on a corner kick from Brian Brennan, who originally found the head of Evan Jurkowski.
- 47th minute (46:36) - Just 1:36 into the second half, senior Isaac Perper (Tiburon, Calif.) found the equalizer for MIT as he finished a great cross from the left side from first-year Rami Bikdash (Oak Ridge, N.C.) for his third goal of the season.
- 101st minute (100:32) - Brennan scored the game winning goal for Clark in the second overtime session as he tapped the ball into the left corner of the net off a pass from Charlie Lane.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Clark edged MIT statistically in shots, 17-14, while both teams took seven corner kicks over the course of the match.
- MIT keeper Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.) made nine saves in the effort for the Engineers as he will graduate tied for first in the record books for best goals against average at 0.94, tied for second in career shutouts (17) and seventh all-time in save percentage (.814).
- MIT made its third straight appearance in the first round of the NEWMAC Tournament and 21st overall in program history.
- The Engineers, which finished the season with an overall record of 7-5-6, played nine matches into overtime in 2019.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.