No. 6 MIT 238, WPI 60
No. 6 MIT 231, Bowdoin 62
- Records: No. 6 MIT (4-1); WPI (3-6), Bowdoin (0-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI Sports & Recreation Center)
- The Lead: The No. 6 ranked MIT men's swimming and diving team won all 16 events as the Engineers swept both WPI and Bowdoin College in a double dual meet in Worcester. MIT seniors Bouke Edskes (Rockville, Md.) and Sam Ubellacker (Georgetown, Ky.) both registered NCAA "B" cut times in the sweep.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT opened the double dual by sweeping the top two spots in the 200-medley relay. James Richardson (Mercer Island, Wash.), Henry Wang (Dallas, Texas), Ubellacker and Justin Liu (Linwood, N.J.) won the event in 1:35.06, while Tim Kralj (Woodinville, Wash.), Kyri Chen (Naperville, Ill.), Edskes and Nicholas Baginski (Hawthorn Woods, Ill.) finished second in 1:35.46.
- The Engineers closed the meet by swimming the top time in Division III this season as Ubellacker, Emilio Sison (Annandale, Va.), Liu and Chen clocked a time of 3:04.46.
- Individually, Edskes won the 100-fly in 49.20, which marks an NCAA "B" cut and the third fastest time in Division III this season, while Ubellacker won the 50-free in 20.60, which also marks an NCAA "B" cut and is the second fastest time in Division III this year.
- Samuel Song (Johns Creek, Ga.) and David He (Southg Setauket, N.Y.) also turned in times in their individual events that rank in the top-10 in Division IIII this season. He clocked the sixth fastest time in the 200-fly as he won it in 1:52.75 and Song clocked the tenth fastest time in the 200-breast as he won it in 2:06.35.
- MIT swept the top three places in six different events today. In the 200-free, Kevin Fang (Austin, Texas) paced the group with a time of 1:44.07 and was followed by Jordan Ren (Chapel Hill, N.C.) in 1:44.49 and Edskes in 1:44.69. In the 100-Breast, Chen led the pack in 1:00.07 and was followed by Wang in 1:00.42 and Brandon Yue (Sammamish, Wash.) in 1:00.55. In the 200-Breast, behind Song was Wang in 2:13.41 and Yue in 2:13.53. In the 100-fly behind Edskes, was Ubellacker in 50.59 and Richardson in 51.77. In the 200-IM, He clocked a time of 1:56.45 and was followed by Song in 1:58.73 and Yue in 2:01.12.
- Trevor Carter (Glen Ellyn, Ill.) swept the distance events as he touched the wall first in the 500-free in 4:50.14 and the 1000-free in 9:55.48. The Engineers took the top four spots in the 500-free as Carter was followed by Jason Tang (Potomac, Md.) in 4:53.38, Brendan Wagner (Elmhurst, Ill.) in 4:56.29 and Fang in 4:56.81.
- Liu, Sison and Henry Hu (Southbury, Conn.) rounded out the list of winners in the swimming portion of the meet today as Liu won the 100-free in 46.61, Sison won the 200-back in 1:55.88 and Hu won the 100-back in 52.07.
- Jay Lang (South Lyon, Mich.) swept both boards in the diving well as he registered an NCAA Division III Diving Regional qualifying score of 356.65 on the 3-meter board and a mark of 274.25 on the 3-meter board.
- MIT will host its annual Winter Invitational beginning on Friday, December 6 inside the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.