No. 16 Bucknell University 15, MIT 9
MIT 18, Wagner College 11
- Records: MIT (1-1); No. 16 Bucknell (1-0); Wagner (0-2)
- Location: Providence, R.I. (Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center)
- The Lead: The MIT men's water polo program opened its 2019 campaign at the Bruno Classic hosted by Brown University this afternoon. In their first game, the Engineers were edged by No. 16 Bucknell University, however they bounced back in the nightcap for an 18-11 win over Wagner College
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. Bucknell:
- MIT sophomore Miller Geschke (Los Altos, Calif.) put the Engineers on the board with the game's first goal less than a minute into the opening quarter, however Bucknell proceeded to go on a 9-2 run that stretched nearly to the end of the second period. MIT would get one back by Geschke prior to the break as the score stool at 9-4 in favor of the Bison at the break.
- The Engineers were able to cut the deficit back to four at 12-8 midway through the fourth quarter after Geschke notched his fourth goal of the contest. The third quarter saw single goals via Geschke, senior Ward Weldon (Honolulu, Hawaii) and junior Evan Kim (Irvine, Calif.).
- Bucknell pulled away three goals in the final quarter and took the opening match by a 15-9 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Geschke powered the MIT offense with four goals on ten shots, while Kim and senior Clyde Huibregtse (New York, N.Y.) both notched a pair of goals in their first contest of 2019.
- MIT senior keeper Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made seven saves in his first match of the year for the Engineers.
- MIT went 6-for-10 on the man advantage and took just one shot less than Bucknell as the Bison held a slim 34-33 margin in the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. Wagner:
- Through the opening 5:15 of the match, both MIT and Wagner found the back of the net three times. The Engineers then went on a 5-3 run to take an 8-5 lead at halftime and never relinquished their lead. The 5-3 push featured two goals from Geschke and one from senior Pat Stefanou (Old Greenwich, Conn.), junior Christian Schillinger (Orinda, Calif.) and one from Huibregtse.
- The Engineers outscored Wagner 10-6 in the second half as Huibregtse scored three straight goals for MIT over a stretch of two minutes. Geschke's sixth goal of the game, which came with 1:25 to play, gave MIT its largest lead of the match at 18-9 as MIT took down Wagner 18-11 for its first win of 2019.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Geschke's six goals in the nightcap tied a single game career-high for the sophomore as he also notched six against Austin College a season ago. Huibregtse added four goals to the effort, while sophomore Kyle Sandell (Mountain View, Calif.) tallied his sixth career hat trick.
- In net, Niederreiter made 11 saves for his first victory of the season (1-1).
- MIT outshot Wagner by a 32-29 margin and the Engineers went 4-for-9 on the man advantage.
- Tomorrow, MIT will wrap up the Bruno Classic with a pair of contests at Harvard University. The Engineers will play McKendree University in their first match of the day at 8:30 am before taking on Cal Lutheran at 1:00 pm.
For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.