- Score: No. 17 St. Francis 17, MIT 9
- Records: MIT (5-2, 0-1 NWPC); St. Francis (10-3, 2-0 NWPC)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. (SFC Aquatic Center)
- The Lead: Despite hat tricks by Ward Weldon (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Miller Geschke (Los Altos, Calif.), the MIT water polo team dropped its first Northeast Water Polo Conference (NWPC) match of 2019 to No. 17 St. Francis, 17-9, this afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- St. Francis held MIT without a goal in the first quarter as the host Terriers led 4-0 after eight minutes. The Engineers battled back by scoring three of the next four goals to cut the deficit to 5-3 with 5:04 to play in the second quarter. The MIT offensive spurt saw two goals from Weldon and one from Geschke.
- St. Francis scored three straight goals of its own to go ahead by five at 8-3, but with one minute to play, goals by Weldon and Kevin Downey (Greenwich, Conn.) put MIT within three at the break at 8-5.
- Over the second half, St. Francis slowly grew its lead and outscored MIT 6-3 in the third quarter and 3-1 in the fourth quarter to win the game by a 17-9 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Geschke posted a game high four goals, while Weldon added three of his own. The Engineers also got single goals by Evan Kim (Irvine, Calif.) and Downey. Kim and Downey both tacked on two assists to their stat lines in the match.
- In net, Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made 11 saves and stole the ball once in a complete game effort for the Engineers.
- MIT went 5-for-12 on the man advantage and 1-for-1 on 5-meter penalty shots. The Engineers also racked up 39 shots, one shy of that taken by St. Francis.
- MIT will travel to Iona College for an 8:00 pm match tonight for its second Northeast Water Polo Conference match of the day.