- Score: MIT 10, Iona College 9 (SD OT)
- Records: MIT (6-2, 1-1 NWPC); Iona (2-9, 0-3 NWPC)
- Location: New Rochelle, N.Y. (Hynes Center Pool)
- The Lead: Tied at nine after two overtime sessions, MIT sophomore Griffin Leonard (Hermosa Beach, Calif.) registered the game winning goal in sudden death as the Engineers topped Iona College, 10-9, in a Northeast Water Polo Conference (NWPC) match in New York.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Kevin Downey (Greenwich, Conn.) put MIT on the board just 35-seconds into the first quarter and Christian Schillinger (Orinda, Calif.) doubled the Engineers advantage to 2-0 before the expired. From that point on neither team held more than a one goal lead.
- MIT trailed 7-6 with under a minute to play and Miller Geschke (Los Altos, Calif.) scored the game tying goal with 48-seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime. In the first overtime, Iona got on the board thanks to a goal by German Rodriguez. Then in the second overtime session, MIT received goals from John Steele (Old Greenwich, Conn.) and Evan Kim (Irvine, Calif.), while the Gaels got a goal by Lester Machado which sent the game to sudden death.
- It was Leonard, who scored his first goal of the season in the sudden death period that gave MIT the 10-9 victory over Iona.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Geschke led the way with a trio of goals and two assists, while Downey added two goals and five other Engineers registered single goals in the win.
- Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made 15 saves in the win for MIT.
- The Engineers took a total of 39 shots and went 3-for-12 on the man advantage.
- MIT will travel to Princeton University for a 3:00 pm match tomorrow to close its first weekend of NWPC play.