- Score: Brown University 17, MIT 12
- Records: MIT (6-4, 1-3 NWPC); Brown University (10-8, 2-3 NWPC)
- Location: Providence, R.I. (Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatic Center)
- The Lead: Despite five goals apiece from Clyde Huibregtse (New York, N.Y.) and Miller Geschke (Los Altos, Calif.), the MIT water polo team fell to Brown University, 17-12, in a Northeast Water Polo Conference match on Saturday afternoon in Rhode Island.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT and Brown played a tight first quarter as the Bears took a 4-3 edge after eight minutes of action. In the opening stanza, the Engineers received single goals from Huibregtse, Geschke and Kevin Downey (Greenwich, Conn.).
- Brown pulled away from MIT with five goals in the second as the Bears led by a 9-4 mark at halftime. The Bears maintained their five goal advantage through a majority of the second half as both squads posted eight goals over the final 16 minutes of action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Huibregtse notched a season-high five goals, while Geschke registered his third five goal effort of the season. The Engineers also received single goals from Downey and Pat Stefanou (Old Greenwich, Conn.) in the match. Downey and sophomore Kaden DiMarco (Eugene, Ore.) led MIT with a pair of assists.
- In net, senior Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made five saves and stole the ball three times, while Brown keeper Riad Hallal made ten saves in the effort.
- Brown held a 33-30 advantage in shots, while MIT went 4-for-11 on the powerplay and 1-for-1 on 5-meter attempts.
- MIT welcomes crosstown rival No. 10 Harvard University tomorrow at noon for another NWPC contest.