Water Polo Splits with Iona and No. 17 St. Francis on Saturday

Photo by DSPics.com
Photo by DSPics.com


- Scores:

MIT 11, Iona College 10
No. 17 St. Francis 12, MIT 11 (OT)

- Records: MIT (10-10, 2-5 NWPC); Iona College (6-17, 0-7 NWPC); No. 17 St. Francis (18-9, 5-3)

- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center Pool)

- The Lead: The MIT water polo team split a pair of Northeast Water Polo Conference (NWPC) matches on Saturday afternoon in Cambridge. The Engineers edged Iona, 11-10, in their opener, but fell to No. 17 St. Francis. 12-11, in overtime in the nightcap.


- After Iona scored the first goal of the game 26-seconds into the first quarter, MIT ripped off four straight goals to go ahead 4-1. The spurt featured two goals each by Kevin Downey (Greenwich, Conn.) and Clyde Huibregtse (New York, N.Y.).

- Iona climbed back into the match and cut its deficit to one at 5-4 early in the third, but back to back goals by Downey and John Steele (Old Greenwich, Conn.) gave MIT a 7-4 cushion and a lead the Engineers would not give up.

- Both teams scored seven goals over the final two quarters as MIT edged Iona by an 11-10 final sweeping the regular season series.


- Huibregtse and Downey paced MIT's offense with four goals apiece, while Ward Weldon (Honolulu, Hawaii) was key defensively with a trio of steals. MIT keeper Hayden Niederreiter (Visalia, Calif.) made ten saves and stole the ball once in the win.

- Iona held a 29-24 advantage in shots, while MIT went 5-for-6 on the man-advantage as well as 2-for-2 on five-meter penalty shots.

HOW IT HAPPENED vs. St. Francis:

- The Terriers jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the first, but the Engineers worked hard to eventually tie the match up at 7-7 in the early moments of the fourth quarter. Huibregtse tied the game at 7-7, while Evan Kim (Irvine, Calif.) gave MIT its first lead of the match with 5:27 to play in regulation.

- Both teams traded goals over the final minutes of regulation as the score stood at 10-10 after 32 minutes in the pool.

- Neither squad scored in the first overtime session, but in the second overtime period Boris Posavec gave St. Francis an 11-10 edge. Huibregtse immediately answered with a goal to tie the match up at 11. MIT called a timeout, but after a forced turnover St. Francis first-year Dominick Hevesi ripped a shot with one second to play to give the visitors a 12-11 victory.


- MIT has a quick turnaround as the Engineers will host No. 18 Princeton University tomorrow morning at 10:00 am.


For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.