- Score: MIT 3, Smith College 2 (OT)
- Records: MIT (6-4, 2-1 NEWMAC); Smith (3-7, 1-2 NEWMAC)
- Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Turf Field)
- The Lead: A goal by first-year Paige Forester (Glencoe, Ill.) late in regulation forced overtime while junior Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) scored the game winner, helping the MIT field hockey team come from behind to defeat NEWMAC rival Smith College, 3-2, on Saturday.
- 6th Minute (5:57) – Smith 1, MIT 0: Victoria Mellow avoided an MIT defender and buried a reverse sweep from just inside the circle.
- 49th Minute (48:17) – Smith 2, MIT 1: Anna Ballou dribbled through the MIT defense and pushed the ball to the right side of the cage.
- 58th Minute (57:11) – MIT 2, Smith 2: Forester redirected a feed from Garofalo.
- 64th Minute (63:18) – MIT 3, Smith 2: Goetz beat Smith's lone defender and dished the ball off to Garofalo, who one-touched it into the net for the game-winning goal
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made two saves for the Engineers.
- MIT had the edge in shots (17-14) and shots on goal (7-4). Smith had the upper hand in penalty corners (11-8), including two during the final minute of regulation.
- MIT continues its NEWMAC road trip on Tuesday, Oct. 8 when it visits Wheaton College for a 4:00 p.m. start.