- Score: No. 2 MIT 4, No. 3 WPI 1
- Records: MIT (12-4); WPI (17-3)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: Three goals in the third quarter, including a pair of penalty strokes, propelled the No. 2 seeded MIT field hockey team to a 4-1 victory over No. 3 WPI on Thursday night. Senior Taylor Grey (Horsham, Pa.) powered MIT with two goals and one assist.
- 7th Minute (6:56) – MIT 1, WPI 0: After a penalty corner, first-year Paige Forester (Glencoe, Ill.) sent a pass from the far side of the arc to the middle where Grey redirected the ball to the back post.
- 26th Minute (25:57) – MIT 1, WPI 1: Following a penalty corner, Shannon Hynes sent a blast from the far side of the arc and the ball deflected off an MIT stick into the top corner at the far post.
- 33rd Minute (32:50) – MIT 2, WPI 1: Senior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) converted MIT's first penalty stroke of the season.
- 36th Minute (35:46) – MIT 3, WPI 1: On a penalty corner, Grey passed the ball along the top of the arc to Goetz who sent a hard shot past WPI goalie Gabrielle Acquista.
- 37th Minute (36:18) – MIT 4, WPI 1: Grey capped the scoring with a penalty stroke.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made six saves for MIT. Acqiusta finished with seven saves while Jackie Cardin earned a pair of defensive saves for WPI.
- MIT ended the night with advantages in shots (17-12), shots on goal (13-8), and penalty corners (7-3).
- MIT will travel to nationally-ranked No. 15 and top-seeded Babson College for the NEWMAC Championship on Saturday, Nov. 9. This will be the third time in four years both teams will meet in the title game and the fourth year in a row the Engineers will be playing in the championship.