- Score: MIT 1, Springfield College 0
- Records: MIT (6-3-0, 1-1-0 NEWMAC); Springfield (3-3-1, 0-1-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Springfield, Mass. (Brock-Affleck Field)
- The Lead: MIT freshman Montana Reilly's (Los Angeles, Calif.) fourth goal of the season at the 19:07 mark of the game was the difference as the Engineers topped Springfield College, 1-0, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference action on Saturday afternoon at Brock-Affleck Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 20th minute, MIT was awarded a corner kick as freshman Emily Berzolla (Riverside, Conn.) sent the ball towards net. Sophomore Shannon Miller (Pittsford, N.Y.) picked up the ball and found Reilly's foot as the Engineers grabbed the early 1-0 advantage.
- Springfield had a chance to even the game before halftime as the Pride had three straight corner kicks, but MIT's back line didn't surrender a shot in that span and only allowed two shots (one on net) over the opening 45-minutes of action.
- The second half tempo picked up, but neither team was able to find the back of the net. Over the final 45-minutes, MIT outshot Springfield by a 9-6 margin and used shots by eight different student-athletes to attempt to put the game away late.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- In total, MIT outshot Springfield 14-8 and held a slim 6-4 advantage in corner kicks. Freshman Chessa Hoekstra (Portland, Maine) led the way for the Engineers with three shots (one on net) this afternoon.
- MIT senior netminder Lauren Ullmann (Princeton, N.J.) stopped the ball four times as she pushed her record to 6-3 in a complete game effort, while Springfield keeper Ciara Boucher made six saves by fell to 3-3-1 on the season.
- MIT closes its four game road swing with a trip to Tufts University for a non-conference contest on Tuesday, September 27th at 4:00 p.m., while Springfield heads to UMass.-Dartmouth the same day at 7:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.