No. 12 MIT 239, WPI 61
No. 12 MIT 185, No. 24 Bowdoin 113
- Records: No. 12 MIT (4-1); WPI (6-5), Bowdoin (1-1)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI Sports & Recreation Center)
- The Lead: The No. 12 ranked MIT women's swimming and diving teams won 12 of 16 contested events and first-year Edenna Chen (Colorado Springs, Colo.) swam NCAA "B" cut times in the 100 and 200-breast as the Engineers topped host WPI and No. 24 Bowdoin College in a double dual meet in Worcester this afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers got off to a great start as Laura Rosado (New Haven, Conn.), Chen, Olivia McGrath (Chevy Chase, Md.) and Shannon Hagmaier (Longwood, Fla.) won the 200-medely relay in a time of 1:46.09, which currently ranks 5th in Division III. Chen and Hagmaier went on to win multiple individual events in the double dual as Chen notched "B" cut times in the 100-breast (1:03.94) and the 200-breast (2:21.81), while Hagmaier touched the wall first in the 50-free (24.27) and the 100-free (52.54). In addition, Rosado won the 200-back (2:06.37) and placed second in the 200-free (1:57.43).
- Hagmaier and Chen closed the meet just as they started it as they teamed up with Lindsey Bjornstad (Mequon, Wis.) and Lilia Staszel (Brighton, Mich.) to win the 400-medley relay in 3:32.51, which ranks third in Division III this season.
- MIT swept the top four spots in the 200-fly as Hannah Mahaffey (Lawrenceville, Ga.) won the event in a time of 2:08.26 and was followed by Angelina Zhang (New York, N.Y.) in 2:09.08, Shirley Li (Honolulu, Hawaii) in 2:10.03 and Kailey Allen (Tacoma, Wash.) in 2:11.86.
- Zhang also claimed first in the 200-IM in a time of 2:11.18, while Callie Kunz (Woodbury, Minn.) rounded out the list of winners in the swimming portion of the meet as she clocked a time of 5:18.06 in the 500-free.
- In the diving well, Blake Zhou (Palo Alto, Calif.) swept both boards with a pair of NCAA Division III Northeast-North Diving Regional scores. Zhou posted 277.60 points on the 1-meter board and 305.15 points on the 3-meter board to wrap up the afternoon.
- Mahaffey and Staszel had strong showings in the 100-fly and 50-free, respectively, as they both finished in second place in those events. Mahaffey clocked a time of 58.64, while Staszel registered a time of 24.92.
- MIT will host its annual Winter Invitational beginning on Friday, December 6 inside the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
No. 12 Women's Swimming and Diving Defeats WPI & No. 24 Bowdoin in Double Dual