- Score: No. 17 MIT 7, Babson 2
- Records: MIT (5-0, 5-0 NEWMAC); Babson (6-1, 3-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass.
- The Lead: On Tuesday evening, the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis improved to a perfect 5-0 on the season with a convincing 7-2 win over Babson College in NEWMAC action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took a 2-1 lead in doubles play, including a convincing 8-0 shutout at No. 2 doubles by sophomore Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) and freshman Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.). The Beavers' team of Yagmur Akgul and Dina Weick took the No. 1 doubles match by an 8-5 final, while MIT took the No. 3 match by an identical 8-5 final.
- In singles action, MIT captured five of the six matches to seal the league victory. Babson was victorious at the No. 1 position as Akgul defeated junior Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) by a 7-5, 6-3 margin. MIT claimed the other five matches in straight sets, including a 6-0, 6-0 win by Zhu at No. 3 and a 6-0, 6-1 victory by Rakocevic at the No. 4 spot.
- MIT is back in action at home from September 23-25 at the Engineers host the ITA New England Regional Tournament.