- Location: Cambridge, Mass.
- The Lead: Freshman Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) advanced to the quarterfinals to lead the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis team at the 2016 ITA New England Regional Championship, hosted by the Engineers from September 23-25.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rakocevic was the top singles player in the event for MIT as she was the lone NEWMAC player to advance to the final eight. After a 6-1, 6-0 straight-set win over Megan Nathanson of Nichols to open play, she battled past No. 9 seeded Lily Bondy of Middlebury to advance to the round of 16. After taking the first set 7-6, Rakocevic fell 6-1 in the second before pulling out a 13-11 final in the third set. She then defeated No. 7 seed Mina Karamercan 6-3, 7-5 before falling to top-seeded Eudice Chong of Wesleyan in the quarters.
- Junior captain Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) advanced to the round of 16 with a pair of wins over opponents from Bowdoin and Wheaton. The No. 4 seed defeated Sam Stalder of Bowdoin 0-6, 6-3, 10-5 and followed that up with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Ines DeBracamonte of Wheaton. She eventually fell to No. 9 seed Christina Puccinelli in the round of 16 by scores of 7-6, 7-5.
- In doubles play, Rakocevic and sophomore Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) advanced to the round of 16 as they defeated the team of Alexa Colas and Catherine Peabody from Mount Holyoke by an 8-1 final before falling in round two.
- Winning the singles title was Juli Raventos from Williams with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over top-ranked Chong from Wesleyan. In doubles action, Chong and teammate Victoria Yu defeated Raventos and Linda Shin by an 8-6 final.
- MIT is back in action on Tuesday, September 27th as the Engineers travel to Worcester, Mass. to take on Clark University beginning at 4 p.m.