- No. 3 Middlebury 9, No. 22 MIT 0
- Records: MIT (12-7), Middlebury (9-3)
- Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Nelson Recreation Center)
- The Lead: On Friday afternoon at the Nelson Recreation Center, the No. 22 MIT women's tennis team fell by a 9-0 final to No. 3 Middlebury in non-conference action. Middlebury marks the ninth straight nationally-ranked opponent for the Engineers, including six in the top 10. In addition, the Engineers are currently the No. 9 ranked team in the region, while the Panthers hold down the top spot regionally.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles play, the Panthers took a 3-0 lead with 8-1 wins in the top two spots and an 8-2 victory at No. 3 over the MIT duo of junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) and freshman Effie Jia (San Ramon, Calif.).
- Middlebury took each singles match in straight sets, including freshman Sharlene Song (Arcadia, Calif.) battling Molly Paradies in the No. 5 spot in a 6-4, 6-2 final. The Panthers boasted two nationally-ranked singles players in No. 17 Alexandra Fields and No. 41 Christina Puccinelli as the pair won at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, April 29th as the Engineers travel to No. 7 ranked Bowdoin College for an 11:30 a.m. start. The match marks the final regular-season match of the spring season, leading up to the NCAA Tournament in May.