- Location: Waltham, Mass.
- Score: No. 13 MIT 5, No. 18 Brandeis 4
- Records: No. 13 MIT (3-2); No. 18 Brandeis (3-3)
- The Lead: Sophomore Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) picked up the final point at No. 6 singles as No. 13 MIT defeated No. 18 Brandeis University by a 5-4 final on Saturday. This marks the fifth straight nationally-ranked opponent for the Engineers as MIT has also now won two straight matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers trailed 2-1 coming out of doubles action as sophomore Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) and Guenther secured an 8-4 victory at the No. 2 position.
- In singles, sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) claimed the lone three-set match as she defeated Diana Dehterevich in a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 final at No. 1. The Judges earned straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 4, with MIT also winning at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6. First-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) returned to the lineup with a 6-4, 6-2 victory, while first-year Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) defeated Sophie He by a 6-1, 6-2 margin.
- In the clinching singles match, Guenther took a 7-6 first set over Michele Lehat before a convincing 6-2 second set sealed the team win.
- MIT opens NEWMAC play on March 22nd as the Engineers host Mount Holyoke College for a 3:30 p.m. start.