- Score: Endicott College 3, MIT 2 (19-25, 24-26, 25-23, 25-13, 15-9)
- Records: MIT (3-1), Endicott (3-0)
- Location: Beverly, Mass. (MacDonald Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team fell to Endicott College, 19-25, 24-26, 25-23, 25-13, 15-9, in non-conference action on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: Trailing 5-1, MIT battled back, using an ace by junior Andie Maloney (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) to go up 14-11. Endicott claimed the next three points but a kill from junior Emily Condon (Orange, Calif.) sparked a 10-3 run which resulted in a 24-17 advantage. A pair of kills extended the frame for the Gulls, however, first-year Lilly Edwards's (Kansas City, Mo.) kill clinched the set.
- Set 2: Down 10-9, the Engineers rattled off nine straight points before establishing a 21-14 lead. Endicott put together a 10-3 run to tie the set, but a kill from senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) followed by Maloney's third ace of the frame gave MIT a 26-24 win.
- Set 3: Following the 11th tie of the set at 23-23, the Gulls capitalized on a kill and a hitting error to capture the victory.
- Set 4: Holding a 9-8 edge, Endicott outscored the Engineers, 16-5, to register a comfortable win.
- Set 5: After a back-and-forth start to the set, the Gulls held an 8-7 lead at the changeover. A kill by Condon coupled with a hitting error put MIT ahead, however, Endicott closed out the match with seven unanswered points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Groark totaled 15 kills and a career-high eight digs as senior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) posted 11 kills and five blocks.
- Edwards contributed 11 kills while Condon produced a career-high seven blocks.
- Maloney rounded out the Engineers with 45 assists, four aces, and four blocks.
- MIT heads out to Colorado College for the two-day Spike It Up Classic beginning on Friday, Sept. 6. The Engineers kick things off by playing LeTourneau University at 12:00 p.m. (10:00 a.m. Mountain) and then Willamette University at 6:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. Mountain).