- Score: MIT 3, Springfield College 2 (25-19, 23-25, 22-25, 25-20, 15-10)
- Records: MIT (10-2, 1-0 NEWMAC); Springfield (8-3, 0-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: In the NEWMAC opener for both squads, the MIT women's volleyball team battled Springfield College for a 25-19, 23-25, 22-25, 25-20, 15-10 win on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: Springfield jumped out to a 7-1 lead but MIT capitalized on a hitting error, helping fuel a 10-1 run. The Engineers maintained the small cushion throughout the set, eventually capturing a 25-19 win on a hitting miscue.
- Set 2: The second set was a back-and-forth affair as there were seven ties and six lead changes. An ace by junior Emily Condon (Orange, Calif.) along with a kill from classmate Andie Maloney (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) gave MIT a 21-19 edge. The Pride won five of the next six points with Bridget Walsh recording four kills. A serving error brought the Engineers within one (24-23), but Camryn Bancroft's kill thwarted the comeback attempt.
- Set 3: Springfield raced out to a 20-9 advantage. However, MIT chipped away at the deficit as a block by sophomore Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) and first-year Alyssa Unell (Scottsdale, Ariz.) narrowed the gap to 24-22. Once again, a kill by Bancroft clinched the set for the Pride.
- Set 4: The fourth set was closely played as there were seven ties and four lead changes. Trailing 14-13, a kill by Grupe set off a string of five unanswered points which put the Engineers ahead for good as they won 25-20.
- Set 5: MIT won four out of the first five points before using Unell's kill to take an 8-4 lead at the changeover. The Engineers increased their advantage courtesy of sophomore Hannah Collins's (Sunnyvale, Calif.) kill and a Springfield hitting error. However, the Pride battled back, coming within three on three occasions, the last at 13-10 on a hitting miscue. This was as close as it would get as a kill from Grupe and then an ace by sophomore Julia Caravias (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) closed out the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) paced MIT with a match-high 16 kills while Condon finished with 13 kills, three blocks, and two aces.
- Collins produced 11 kills as Unell registered five blocks, followed by Grupe with four.
- Maloney tallied 48 assists and digs while senior Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.) led all players with 18 digs.
- Bancroft powered Springfield with 13 kills, a .458 hitting performance and three blocks while Walsh totaled 12 kills, a .357 hitting percentage, and eight blocks.
- Demi Spanos compiled 10 kills, nine digs, and two aces as Sara Labadorf produced 30 assists and 11 digs.
- Briana Tovar paced the Pride with 13 digs and three aces while Anagabrielle Sanchez bolstered the defense with 10 digs.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, Sept. 21 when it hosts NEWMAC rival Smith College and local foe Framingham State University at 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., respectively. Springfield, meanwhile, will host St. Lawrence University on Friday, Sept. 20 at 6:30 p.m.