- Score: MIT 3, Clark University 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-18)
- Records: MIT (18-4, 6-1 NEWMAC), Clark (5-16, 0-7 NEWMAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Kneller Athletic Center)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team generated late runs during the first and third sets to help it defeat Clark University, 25-20, 25-15, 25-18, in NEWMAC action on Tuesday night. First-year Alyssa Unell (Scottsdale, Ariz.) tallied 13 kills, a .435 hitting performance, four aces, and four blocks for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: The opening frame featured six ties and three lead changes. Trailing 15-12, a hitting error sparked a 6-1 run by Clark. A kill by sophomore Julia Caravias (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) ignited a string of eight unanswered points which gave MIT a 24-18 lead. A serving error and a kill extended the frame for the Cougars, but a hitting error clinched the 25-20 win for the Engineers.
- Set 2: MIT won the first five points and maintained a small cushion during the first half of the set. Clark put together a 5-1 spurt which narrowed the gap to 16-12. The Engineers replied with a 9-3 run to close out the frame.
- Set 3: The third set was a back-and-forth affair as there were 11 ties and six lead changes. Knotted at 18, MIT rattled off the final seven points to capture the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Francesca Macchiavello (Lexington, Ky.) posted 10 digs, followed by seven from sophomore Maggie Wang (Rockville, Md.). Sophomore Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) bolstered the defense with four blocks.
- MIT hosts the two-day New England Challenge beginning on Friday, Oct. 18, with the Engineers playing Middlebury College at 7:00 p.m.