- Location: Tom Sawyer Park (Louisville, Ky.)
- The Lead: Led by a victory from junior Katie Collins (Newton, Mass.) and all five scoring runners in the top 16, the No. 7 ranked MIT women's cross country captured the Silver Race at the Greater Louisville Classic at Tom Sawyer Park. The course is the site of the 2019 NCAA Division III National Championship in November.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- NOTE that after the 3.9-kilometer mark in the Silver Race, the lead vehicle took the field significantly off-course. Therefore, the final results are based on the standings up to that point.
- In the Silver Race on Saturday, Collins won in a time of 13:50.1 as she was 5.5 seconds in front. First-year Kirsi Rajagopal (Harrison, N.Y.) was seventh overall and the second first-year with a time of 14:06.8. Senior Megan McCandless (Livermore, Calif.) was eighth at 14:08.1, followed by sophomore Einat Gavish (Newton, Mass.) in 11th at 14:13.5 and senior Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) in 16th with a time of 14:15.1.
- In the Blue Race earlier on Saturday, sophomore Alana Chandler (Chicago, Ill.) was 47th in 19:09.4 over the five-kilometer course. Senior Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) placed 64th in 19:19.2, along with first-year Anna Chau (Salem, Ore.) in 190th place with a time of 20:17.8.
- Overall, MIT defeated 11 nationally-ranked teams at the meet, including five ranked among the top-20 and finished with 43 points.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, October 19th as the Engineers travel to Harkness Park in Watertown, Conn. for the 2019 Connecticut College Invitational.