- Location: Harkness Park (Waterford, Conn.)
- The Lead: Led by a runner-up finish by sophomore Izzi Gengaro (Boonton Township, N.J.), the No. 7 ranked MIT women's cross country team captured the 2019 Connecticut College Invitational on Saturday at Harkness Park. MIT had four runners in the top 20 as the Engineers finished with 75 points, followed by No. 5 Williams with 103 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Gengaro crossed in second in a time of 21:07 over the six-kilometer course, followed by senior Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) in 12th place in 21:49.4. Junior Katie Collins (Newton, Mass.) finished 15th overall with a time of 21:58.2, with senior Megan McCandless (Livermore, Calif.) close behind in 18th with a time of 22:04.9.
- The final scoring runner for MIT was sophomore Einat Gavish (Newton, Mass.) in 28th place as she crossed in 22:16. First-year Kirsi Rajagopal (Harrison, N.Y.) finished 36th in 22:28.9, followed by senior Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) in 54th place with a time of 22:46.9.
- Overall, MIT defeated nine nationally-ranked teams, including No. 4 Tufts and No. 5 Williams. Six of those teams are currently ranked in the top 20.
- MIT begins its championship racing season on Sunday, November 3rd as the Engineers compete at the NEWMAC Championship at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass.